Life Deserves Ceremonies


Below you will find the answers to some of the more common questions that I receive about my services. If there is any question that is not addressed please feel free to contact me.
  • How long is the average wedding?
    The average length of a wedding is from 15-25 minutes however the length will vary depending on the words, readings, rituals and music that is chosen by the couple. back to top
  • When does the officiant arrive and leave?
    I try to arrive approximately 30 minutes prior to the ceremony and leave about 15 minutes after and am available for contact right up to the ceremony via my cell phone. back to top
  • What does the Officiant wear while conducting the ceremony?
    When performing the ceremony I wear clothing that fits the atmosphere of the occasion. A more formal dress for a traditional wedding; a less formal suit for a more relaxed wedding. I do not wear standard clerical attire. back to top
  • What arrangements are in place in the event the Officiant is unable to perform the ceremony?
    I am part of a network of Humanist Officiants who have agreed to stand in for each other in the event of unforeseen circumstances. As a group, we ensure that couples contracting our services will have their ceremony performed at the designated time and place. back to top
  • Does the Officant attend the reception?
    There is no expectation that I will attend your wedding wedding meal or reception however sometimes the couple will extend an invitation to the Officiant to offer good wishes to everyone who will be coming together to share the meal. If I am available, I am happy to join you. back to top
  • How do I obtain a Marriage Licence Application
    You can apply for a Marriage Licence no more than three months prior to your wedding date. The marriage licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for three months from the date of purchase. A marriage licence can be obtained from the clerk of most cities, townships, towns or villages. Check your municipal blue pages or one can be downloaded from the Government of Ontario Website.

    Either or both of the persons being married must apply in person to the Marriage Licence Issuer to obtain a licence. They will need to bring identification, such as a birth certificate (along with any change of name certificates), current passport, Record of Immigrant Landing or Canadian citizenship card, along with photo identification, for both persons.

    There is a set fee for purchasing a Marriage Licence. Contact your municipal office for the current fee. back to top
  • What if I have been divorced?
    If one or both members of the couple are divorced, documentation relating to each divorce will be required. If you live and were divorced in Canada, you must bring the original or court certified copy of the final decree, final judgment or certificate of divorce to your local municipal office when you are purchasing the marriage licence.

    If you live or were divorced outside of Canada, you may be required to submit documents to the provincial government several weeks prior to applying for a licence. Contact your local municipal office for further information or check the Ontario Government Website for additional requirements on Getting Married in Ontario after a divorce. back to top